Dwight L. Thomas
I was sworn into the State Bar of Georgia in 1976.
Thereafter, I worked briefly for the Fulton County Solicitor’s Office before taking employment as an attorney for the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare and later for the U. S. Department of Education as an attorney for the Office of Civil Rights.
In 1980, I entered private practice in Decatur, Georgia renting space from Clarence “Chuck” Seeliger who is now Superior Court Judge of Dekalb County. I was the first African-American attorney to have a law office in the City of Decatur, the location of the Dekalb Superior Court.
In 1982, Clarence “Chuck” Seeliger was elected to the State Court of Dekalb County and made my father, Nesby Thomas, Jr., the first African-American bailiff in the Dekalb Courthouse. I later practiced law with Henry Johnson Jr., now U.S. Congressman “Hank” Johnson, Jr. before moving downtown Atlanta around 1988 where I have remained.
I have served as an officer for several local Bar Associations, including President of the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in 2003 and I have served as an elected member of the State Bar Board of Governor’s since 1996, representing Post 6 that was vacated by Attorney Linda Klein who went on to become the first and only female President of the State Bar of Georgia.
I have represented people from all walks of life from the powerless to the powerful (former Dekalb CEO Vernon Jones, former State Senator Van Streat, and former Atlanta School Board Member Robert “Bob” Waymer).
Since that day in 1966 when I integrated Avondale H.S. in Dekalb County, I have always welcomed a challenge and I have always challenged the law to the benefit of people and not to the detriment.
I am an avid University of Georgia Bulldog Alumni/fan and I love riding my Harley Davidson motorcycles. I lecture frequently on issues involving criminal defense representation. My motto is “A commitment to serve by going above and beyond”.
- Georgia Bar, 1976
- United States Supreme Court
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Federal Court of Appeals, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 11th Circuits
- United States District Court-Northern and Middle Districts
- Pro Hac in South Carolina, Alabama, Florida and the United States Virgin Islands
- University of Georgia, B.A.
- University of Miami, J.D.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS:
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member and Past President
- State Bar of Georgia, Board of Governors
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Dekalb Lawyers Association, Past President
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Henry County Bar Association
- Gwinnett County Bar Association